Literary Quotes

‘I wonder who you think you are. Do you damn well think you are god or something. God give life, God taketh away. I think you are the devil itself.’ (Spoken by the mother one of Peter Sutcliffe’s victims)

‘I eat too much to die and not enough to stay alive; I’m sitting in the middle waiting.’ (An anorexic girl who died at 4st 7lbs, influenced by magazine models. 4st 7lbs is the weight at which an average height girl is deemed to be fatal – she died in hospital)

‘Today the tear of a child is the judge, the grief of a mother is the prosecutor.’ (spoken by John Hurt, paraphrashing Karl Marx)

‘The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.’ (George Orwell)

‘I listen to money singing. It’s like looking down
From long french windows at a provincial town,
The slums, the canal, the churches ornate and mad
In the evening sun. It is intensely sad.’ (Phillip Larkin)

‘I am stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer, I spat out Plath and Pinter.’ (Richey James Edwards)

‘Between the age of five and seven, I was raped whilst playing football in Easthouses Park, in broad daylight. It’s difficult to recall, but I was in primary schooI – I think primary three, which would have made me seven years old. I have never soberly had sex since. Several human beings have tried to help over the years, but NHS professionals have said it’s beyond their area of expertise.’ (Hunter Clarke) 

‘There are no moral phenomena at all, only a moral interpretation of phenomena.’  (Friedrich Nietzsche)

‘Prosperity – exports for Pol Pot. Prosperity – Mien Kampf for beignners.’ (Richey James Edwards/Nicky Wire)

‘Dormant vice turned on her devices, now she’s raising money for her sex appeal.’ (Gryff Rhys)

‘Mr Lenin – awaken the boy; Mr Stalin – bisexual epoch; Kruschev – self-love in his mirrors. Brezhnev – married into group sex; Gorbachev – celibate self-importance; Yeltsin – failure is his own impotence. Revol – Revol – Revol…Lebensraum – Kulturkamp – RAUS! RAUS! FILA! FILA’ (Richey James Edwards). For those who cannot read, ‘revol’ is ‘lover’ in reverse, with a very clever double-meaning (REVOLUTION). The editor, Robert Chalmers, spoke very intimately with Hunter Clarke, who has said that despite numerous offers, he has never had a lover. He has never felt sexual feelings for anyone. Robert and Hunter have only met in states of drunkenness, but Hunter has stressed that whenever anyone has tried to help him get over his memories, he has shunned their offer. He has also emphasized that these were real people, and not NHS staff, who have said they can’t help him.

‘Lime and lipid green, a second scene, a fight between the blue you once knew. Floating down the sound, resounds, around the icy waters underground. Jupiter and Saturn, Oberon, Miranda and Titania. Neptune, Titan, Stars can frighten.’ (Roger Keith ‘Syd’ Barrett)

‘If anybody bullies you, tell me.’ (Keith Chalmers)